As soon as I learned about Quick Change Tool Posts (QCTP) for the Lathe I knew I had to have one. They are beneficial from a turret tool post (what I have now) in that the individual tools are pre-mounted in tool holders, pre-set to the correct tool height, so tool changes (ex: from facing to turning) takes about 5 seconds, as opposed to about 5 minutes. The standard turret style tool post requires shims under the tool to set the height, and shimming for every tool change is what takes the most amount of time.

A few months ago I bought a Chinese QCTP from Amazon for $268, which came with 5 tool holders. I also bought 3 extra tool holders. The idea is to get all your tooling mounted in tool holders so that once their height is set, it's just a matter of swapping tool holders to change machining operation.

The Base of the QCTP I bought is supplied oversized so that it can be machined to fit any lathe. This chapter covers the machining of the Base. This project covers some techniques I've never used before so I wanted to proceed cautiously.

After day one of tear down. The airbox is out. Filter looked new. The intake manifold is out, man that thing was a pain... The fuel pump cam follower is clearly new. Exhaust manifold is all disconnected, just need to lift it out. Head looks clean. Going to need to remove the cams to get the head out because the shafts are in the way.

Valves after 250,000km. Not bad, I was expecting more carbon build up.

Welcome Captian Bunk. I picked the name for two reasons, one the engine is bunk. And two; this guy navigated his way into my life like a Cap.

I'll be honest, I was planning to spend money on something else, probably something productive like a big brake kit for the S4. But I started an email cluster bomb of; S4 upgrades vs practicality, and thats when Cap B surfaced on Kijiji. This was just as Sean mentioned, "buy an A4 with a bunked motor and have fun with it!" I found the ad and fired it off to the group. He reviewed the ad in detail, did his research on the 2.0T, consulted with Jenny on her thoughts and review about the B7 platform, even called the guy to get a feeling from him, then turned to look me in the eyes, and gave me the nod. I knew exactly what to do. He wasnt wrong about my S, so I didnt waste time. 5 days later the tow slammed it into the drive way. At which point our driveway stopped getting cleared because it didnt turn over/I couldnt get it into the garage. Ang did NOT like this. I called my homeboi B-rad and asked to push this light weight vehicle into the garage. Holy fuck, I underestimated that. This was a suicide mission! It was -10/-20 with the wind, freezing rain up our noses, slippery as hell and late. I got frustrated and was ready to ram it in with the A8, when level headed B-rad was like, lets just use the A8 bumper as leverage. As we progressed, we reset, and finally after 30 minutes, we humped it in. Worked like a charm B. Fast forward to the next day; I get home from work and as I exit my car I hear my neighbor holler. He says; "hey I saw you last night trying to push that car in the garage, next time just come over and ask!" I'm like WHAT!?! why didn you come over you SOB!!!! :0 so anyways, now I know which address to unload an 18 pack of farm fresh on. :P

I'll have to back up a bit here, just before I pulled the trigger. I never told Ang about any of this. On superbowl sunday, we had people over early afternoon. and my phone was lighting up like a Christmas tree. I was giggling/texting Barry, Zack(A4 Avant) and the seller back and forth. My 2k offer was across the table, I thought the guy was going to walk, but he responded with 2300, and thats when Ang asked what the hells going on? I hadnt even told the seller yet but I mentally accepted it, and thats when I told her I bought a car. WHAT!?!? ahahhah it was a great turn of events.

It was listed at $3,200 with 250,000km. Snagged it for $2,300 and this thing had a pile of service records with it. 17k worth. All Mark Motors. Its just too bad the motor shit the bed. Only two owners, and the PO bought it from Tony Graham!


For the past few years I've been noticing a cabin noise that sounded very similar to a wheel bearing on its way out, increasing slowly over time. A couple years ago I changed the front wheel bearings and while it got a bit better the noise was still there. At this point it's enough to vibrate the dash while driving a certain speeds and while it's still not 'loud', when the car stops rolling and things are quite you definitely feel like you just came from a Metallica concert. Anyway, on a few occasion I've had the chance to isolate the noise to the diff. This past summer I had the axles out for a rebuild and was able to spin the diff alone and it was obvious this is where the sound was coming from.

The car went into winter storage at the parents' place a couple months ago and about 2 weeks ago I went over and pulled the diff from the car. Pretty easy job considering the axles had just been out and the hardware was spotless.

On to the write-up...

Project Build

Project Build is about bringing together the community of car enthusiasts. Together we can build one central place to congregate and talk about cars. Project Build makes it easy for you to document procedures performed to your automobile, from changing your oil to swapping out your engine. Learn More...

Bump Feed